I don't think the issue is there. When you make an LDAP call, you specify
where you want to go, the hierarchy is all there and required in the call.
Also I don't believe the issue is in SYSVOL, if you look at the sysvol
structure, it has the domain component in there. In fact when I first saw
that in say Oct 1999 in the gold product I was thinking... Hmmmm is MS
thinking about supporting multiple domains from a single DC? One of the big
issues is at the level of all of the old NET style calls. You specify a
server, not a domain, then it assumes there is one auth point on that one
server (i.e. one SAM in the old days) and it works it. If a call came in for
user bob on server123 and there were three domains or partitions or x hosted
all of which have bob, which one gets sent back?

If the old NET functionality got dumped, I would be rewriting quite a bit of
code. The only reason I am not already doing it is that there is no impetus
to, it works, I don't have to worry about it. At the same time, that holds
back from doing newer and cooler things if MS did offer the option to move
on. If that option were there though... I would start rewriting to get to
it. At the present time, there is no sign of the death of the NET API so
there is no reason to rewrite something that works fine using it unless
there is some other reason (like you need something that isn't accessible
through the API). Even on this list which has a lot of the more eager
techofolks, we discuss the WinNT provider and other NET API based methods
quite a bit for accessing AD. How come everyone isn't only using the LDAP
methods? Answer, because the NET API methods still work for many things.