when i run ethereal on the bridgehead server, i see many tcp retransmissions to the journal server.

what could this signify?
is this an issue on my Exchange server's side?
thier exchange server?
my bandwidth?
their connection?

thanks again

On 10/11/05, Tom Kern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
ok. i think you guys are overcomplicating things-

i have one contact which like most contacts, is for an address external to my ORG.
this contact has 1 address which is also its primary address.
the address is external to my ORG. In other words, its a contact :)
the smtp address on the contact is [EMAIL PROTECTED].

i have journaling enabled on all my mailstores. the journal "mailbox" is this contact.
journal mail gets forwarded to this contact which is an address on a 3rd party journaling/archive soultion.
their mail infratstructure has nothing to do with me.
they just accept journaled email from us.

now, mail going(via journaling) to this contact gets routed out a dedicated smtp connector.
the address space on this connector is "*.journaldomain.com".
when mail going to the [EMAIL PROTECTED] gets routed to its smtp connector, the bridgehead server rewrites the RCPT TO: address as [EMAIL PROTECTED]
the archive/journal companie's mailserver only accepts mail for "servername.journaldomain.com " NOT "Journaldomain.com ", so i get "unable to relay" errors and my journal queue builds up.

when i change the coonector address space to "servername.journaldomain.com", some mail starts to flow but then it stops as well.

now my 2 questions are-
why does exchange rewrite the RCP TO: address?
and

why would mail stop flowing? am i sending too much mail to them(they run exchange 2k as well)?
how would i know?
how many connections can exchange accept at one time incoming?

Thanks for the list suggestions but i tried the Sunbelt one which is pretty bad. the noise to info ratio is insanely uneven.
i also tried the one at [EMAIL PROTECTED] which is pretty decent but i didn't get many responses.
that could be my fault and the way i worded my problem(most likely).

thanks for all your help and time spent on this already.