Well previously you mentioned it was IP hardcoded, now you specify name. If
the name was there, possibly someone dorked with the name in DNS, especially
if you didn't use a fully qualified name and you have multiple search
suffixes.

Otherwise, the only way for the client to jump to another machine would be
through a referral.

If you have multiple domains, you may find that straight kerberos is not as
fun as you may think. I recall one kerberos integration project that went
over 2 years with no production machines launched. There are some difficult
problems that can be encountered and the people on that project generally
found the MS people in Redmond good to work with and the MIT kerberos people
a pain to work with. The onsite MS PSS/MCS people really didn't have any
ideas on any of the problems. Kerberos is one of those things that most of
the MS world likes to just see work, when it doesn't, there are a lot of
shrugged shoulders and mumbled "I don't know"s.

Not saying it is impossible, it can just be trying. Microsoft did an
amazing, yes amazing, job on hiding the backend complexities of kerberos.

As for pricing, hit Vintela/Quest at the end of a quarter or at the end of
the fiscal year. Also check out Centrify, they are in the same space. See if
you can get both companies into a bidding war. As for who is better, I think
it hasn't been worked out yet. Lots of opinions both ways but no clear cut
you must do it this way winner. I am friends with people on both sides of
that fight.