-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of RM
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:03 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] BIND on Linux

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:59:48 +0200, "Peter Jessop" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:

>The reason I am asking this question is that now it is the policy to
>move to Open Source wherever possible. Thus HP-UX will move to Linux,
>MS office will move to Open Office etc.

Ahh, I see.

Moving your DNS to a BIND implementation would comply with the letter of
that policy but not the spirit.  BIND will need a home and that could
involve spinning up another couple of servers.  Plus, the DC's where DNS is
running now will continue to run as DC's.  The end-result is server sprawl
and you aren't doing a thing to get Microsoft outta your shop.

The only way I'd switch to BIND is if I were going the Samba route with an
eye toward getting rid of Active Directory entirely.  If you're running AD,
keep MSDNS.  Sleep well at night.

RM