You could indeed schedule NTBackup to do a backup to disk locally;
install a second HD just for that, then back that up to tape. It's
pretty simple, really. It would also eliminate the need for DA rights
for the backup account. Evaluate how you will restore the DCs in the
event of a failure. Will you actually restore the backup or would you
wipe and rebuild and let replication take care of synching AD? How will
the remote office handle a dead DC while you restore or rebuild?
Determining your recovery method will provide clarity for your backup
solution.

We use a different local backup account for every server, and use Steve
Riley's passgen to change the account pws regularly via scripting.
Backup accts are a known attack vector, and using a domain-level account
for that access allows an attacker to compromise one machine and then
use that account for attacking other machines. When using local accounts
for backup, it significantly reduces that risk. Makes for a more
complicated backup configuration, but they aren't paying me to just do
the easy stuff.

For DCs I use an account that is a member of the Administrators group in
the domain rather than the Domain admins group. It's a minor but
significant difference in that the account for the DCs cannot logon to
member servers. I would much prefer that I could use a backup operators
group account to back up system state on a DC, or that there was another
type of account that could back that up but had no other rights.

BTW; if you provide the remote admins the ability to restart the DCs and
they have physical access, they own those DCs and there's nothing you
can do about it. Our model was to not put DCs in remote offices,
especially since there were no resource servers in those offices. We had
pulled all resources back to HQ and upped the WAN links to reduce
latency, which allowed me to avoid remote DC placement. Works well for
us, and makes security design simpler. YMMV...

Charlie Kaiser
W2K3 MCSA/MCSE/Security, CCNA
Systems Engineer
Essex Credit / Brickwalk