That's good to know. I did not know you could install VS without the IIS components.

I should point out that putting a GC in a remote site does often imply that local resources (even if just opposable thumb types) will have the ability to physically access the machine. You'll have some risk, but at least you would not have to munge up the permissions to allow for f/p maintenance. You *can* just have the f/p administrative resource just have permissions, full control, etc of the f/p virtual.

It's always good to learn something new :)

From: "Ulf B. Simon-Weidner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Virtual Servers in Branch Offices
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:42:14 +0200

Hi Al,

you don't need IIS running on the machine where Virtual Server is running.
IIS supports the admin website, and you can put this on any other server,
and have couple servers managed from one machine. Since we are talking about
VS in BOs I'd recommend putting the virtual server w/o IIS and the
admin-sites (not sure about the right names of the components - to lazy to
install VS just to figure that out) on the BO-Servers and install the
admin-Webpages onto a central server (or a workstation).

Ulf

  _____