I think you need to consider that the export to XML is far less
difficult than the import back in to the directory on the other side.

Joe raised one....the ACL problems. And there are other problems you
need to fix too.

For example, you have a user and a group, the user is in the group. You
need to ensure that you create the user before you try and tickle the
'member' attribute of the group.
This problem would be out there for all link value attributes.
And sometimes, perhaps you happen to have an attribute on objectA that
points to objectB but also an attribute on objectB that points back to
objectA. So you can't just reorder, you need to defer some of the
operations to later on.

You need to ensure you sort your object creates hierarchically so you
don't try and create children before you have their parents.

You need to ensure you have schema parity.

Those are just a few problems that come to mind.

Synchronization is tricky business. This is why we wrote MIIS and
ADAMSync....so you don't have to. ;)

Perhaps an easy approach for you would be adamsync + a little scripting
(namely for ACLs + GPOs, two things that adamsync can't handle on it's
own).

~Eric