You have multiple DCs for redundancy. If one goes down, the others are still
available. And your domain (usually) keeps functioning without you having to
do a restore.

I'm not sure having FE/BE Exchange servers accomplishes the same goal. Most
FE Exchange servers do not have a copy the store in my experience.

In terms of splitting AV/WSUS - that's something that can only be decided on
a case-by-case basis. What hardware exists? Does the administration of the
two need to be split between different people? Are they going to be located
in physically disparate sites?

Cheers
Ken

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx