-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Al Lilianstrom
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 8:16 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] Hardware Suggestions

Rick Kingslan wrote:
> Add to that - SATA is not for the desktop only.  Check out some of the SAN
> coming out from most vendors, EMC included.  Those drives and connections
> look a lot like SATA to me.

We have SATA bricks attached to our SAN. They have some issues that, in
my opinion, make them not quite 'enterprise' ready. A different vendor
just dropped off a rack full of disks (SATA and FC) for us to test as
part of a NAS investigation. The SATA based arrays are slower than the
FC based arrays. Not as much as they used to be but still significantly
slower. That said - we haven't moved anything real important to the SATA
volumes yet. Mainly archives and temp storage for data reprocessing
right now.

        al

Al Lilianstrom
CD/CSS/CSI