We've performed tests with one VM (using ESX Server) with Exchange installed
on it. This VM had a blade all for itself. With this configuration we could
only host 1500 mailboxes and still have acceptable response times.
When we did the same tests on bare metal (same blade) we could host 4000
mailboxes. Vmware has a nice paper on virtualization of Exchange 2003 with
ESX Server.

Han.

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx