Do we have photos of this? I gotta see this.  :-)

joe wrote:

Anyone I run into at conferences and the like that happens to have a copy of
the book I will happily sign. I will be utterly confused as writing in books
reduces the resale value, but I will sign. :o)  Unfortunately I won't be
sending out complimentary copies to everyone. It seems according to some of
my friends who know other authors in non-computer fields that with some
books the author will get a case or two of books to give out, I think I get
10 and my family is pretty adamant on where those are going even though they
will never read them.
Going and presenting to book clubs and doing book signings.... Well that,
that I probably wouldn't get into a whole lot. I am the guy who likes to sit
in the back and heckle as necessary versus stand up and tap dance on the
stage. I only take the reins if they are dragging on the floor or pulling
the person holding them around. :o)

In high school my hair was half way down my back (a complete shock to anyone
who has met me in person as I keep my hair very short now) and I wore a torn
up denim jacket (it was supposed to be white) and jeans (and not from a
razor blade) and was constantly accused of cheating on tests though everyone
else around me in the back of the room tended to do much worse on their
tests than I did. The only time I actually tried to sit in the "front" of
the class was in band when I played Coronet and I liked being first or
second chair because I could hear the better musicians clearer so I could
get better. When a concert came up and the first three chairs were expected
to stand up and play solos I would make sure that I was firmly down around
12th or 13th chair, had no desire to stand up and play like that. Also I
ended up down in those slots any time new music was given to us because I
couldn't read sheet music and had to spend time learning the songs by
listening to everyone else play them. Even now with guitar I find that I do
better listening to the song and figuring it out versus reading tab. I will
look at the tab to find out if there is any funky capo business going on and
what the main chords are, but after that I just pluck away until it sounds
right to me. It is a family trait I think, I have an uncle who is a
professional piano/organ player for piano bars and bands and such and has
been doing it for what seems like hundreds of years. I remember being
dragged into some exclusive after hours clubs in Traverse City (resort town
in Northern Michigan) when I was just a young kid staying up all night
listening to him play and sleeping until noon when I would visit him.  He
can't read music to save his life, but you start to hum a song and whether
he knows it already or not he will be off and running.
Bringing that back around to anything resembling anything on topic, that
playing by ear I think trained me to not be so reliant in computers on the
books and documentation and the way things are supposed to be done versus
figuring out what I need done or what I would like to see done. It helped me
pick out the differences and see patterns, etc. When troubleshooting I don't
always know whats wrong right away but seem to be able to zoom in on things
that aren't quite right until I can chase down what is actually wrong.