I apologize for leaving out crucial information.

I am trying to enchance (less-than-optimal) .NET code, so this involves the
use of DirectorySearcher and SearchResult classes in the
System.DirectoryServices namespace. The current implementation takes the
top-level group name and searches for it, then loops through the "member"
collection returned (part of the SearchResult.Properties collection),
determining which is a User and which is a Group. For those identified as
Groups, they are put through their own level of Members search. For each
User that is retrieved, yet another search is performed to get their logon
name (appears the results of the Member collection shows only Full Name
property of Users).

So in an example scenario, that can result in 200+ calls for individual User
query, taking some 179 seconds. My immediate idea was to find a way to make
a single chunky query rather than numerous small queries (similar to SQL
query advice), so I wondered if there is an LDAP search pattern that can
have itself recursively drill down all groups and return me the Logon names
in one fell swoop. If that is not possible, then the next best thing would
be to return all Users' Logon names in a Group rather than the Full name.

Aaron

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx