Sysinternals has a free utility that will automate the process:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autologon.html

On 12/1/05, AD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 We have workstation that are not added to the domain and are configured to autologin. The username and password are duplicated on our domain which allows the local account to use network resources.

We would like to join the workstation to the domain (to many advantages to explain why) and eliminate the local account and modify the autologin to use a domain username and password. This causes a problem as the username and password is stored in the registry as plain text.

As anyone ever had to deal with this scenario? I have found the following articles (below) that describe that the Autologon password can either be plain text in the registry (Winlogon key) OR encrypted into a Local Security Authority (LSA) secret.

Does anyone know to use these functions to encrypt the username and password in the registry?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsa1/wp.mspx

(Autologon section)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url="">