From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Susan Bradley,
CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 8:40 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] SBS Transition Pack installation experience?

And the documentation is on this side too is a bit sparse.

In our SBS MVP ranks we've had one MVP go through it... below are his
comments when we asked him to go over the experience... as most folks
post in the SBS newsgroup and say "we're applying this" and we never
hear back from them...they get sucked into this blackhole never to post
again....

OK, here's what I found.

Installed the Transition pack on SBS SP1 Premium (running SQL but not
ISA).

It churned for a while and rebooted twice.  Note that you are warned
all over the place that you'll have to reinstall all service packs
after installing the transition pack.

Towards the end of the install, I get a message box "Setup cannot
continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer
than the version on the CD.  Warning: If you decide to delete the
newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your
computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.  To exit, click
Cancel.  For more information, click Details.

Clicking Details got me nowhere, so I clicked Cancel.  I thought I
was in trouble, and was ready to call PSS.  I rebooted after clicking
cancel, and much to my surprise, I get prompted that the transition
pack was installed successfully.

So now the box is in the "I think the transition pack is applied"
state.  I moved FSMO roles to another box without a problem
(something you're only supposed to be able to do post transition
pack).  I moved Exchange and SQL each to their own box.  I am also
now running 2 DHCP servers in the environment, and the old SBS box
seems to be stable.  I'm not sure what else I can do to confirm that
the transition pack is OK, but everything seems to be stable at this
point.

--------------------------------------

To add to that..... yes the transition pack was applied
successfuly...the way you check is attempt to disable license logging
serivce and sbscore services. If those two services will shut off and
stay off, you don't have a SBS box anymore.

In this "no longer a SBS box" state, Remote Web Workplace and all the
SBS wizards still work, there are just no guarantees that future
patches/service packs will break things.

I imagine if all you wanted to do was sucking life out of it...you could
have FSMO transferred the AD to a "normal" Windows 2003 box and sucked
that over too. [you know the seize ntdsutil thingy]

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx