Ok, this is the scenario. I needed to create 123 DNS entries really quick so I decided to use DNSCMD. It ended it being a big mistake.

The mandatory parameters for DNSCMD /RECORDADD are the following:

<servername>
/RecordAdd
<Zone>
<NodeName>
<RRType>
<RRData>
[<command parameters>]

So I typed in the following: (entered it on different lines for easy readibiltiy).

ncdc01
/RecordAdd
myDomain.com
hostA.myDomain.com
192.168.1.2

The command completes with a "Command Completed Successfuly". Great. Only one problem. It does not show up in the DNS management console. I can see it in the directory but not in the DNS snapin. When I do a NsLookup on that record it comes up as hostA.myDomain.com.myDomain.com. Ok so I figured out that you do not need to specify the domain name for the <NodeName> parameter of the command. I go ahead and delete the entry in ADUC because I can't see it in DNS console, clear the DNS cache on the server and clear the cache on my client. When I run NsLookup on the host again it shows up as hostA.myDomain.com.myDomain.com. That is impossible right? The only way I was able to clear this entry from the server cache was to restart DNS on the DC. Not a feasible solution when you have 20 DC across the country.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Yves