The DSheuristics setting activates or de-activates the List Object permission, not the List Content permission - however, you have to use both in conjunction to reach most goals in respect to hiding data in AD. I've created this table for other stuff I'm working on to clarify the confusion a bit.

(btw, the first two bits of this setting are also important, but not for permissioning - they control name resolution during AD searches.)

/Guido

Granted Permissions on…

Result

Organizational Unit

Child Objects

List Contents and List Object

N/A

The List Object permission on the OU makes the OU visible. As List Contents is also granted to the OU, this will take precedence over any missing List Object permissions for child objects and AD will automatically list all objects in the container.

A delegated administrator can browse to the OU and all child objects with ADUC.

An LDAP Query for all objects will return OU and ALL child objects.

List Object

(List Contents not granted or denied)

List Object

The List Object permission on the OU makes the OU visible. If List Contents is not granted or if it is denied AND if List Object is granted to the container object (OU), AD will evaluate the List Object permission for the child objects and only list those, where the List Object (or Read) permission has been granted.

A delegated administrator can browse to the OU with ADUC and selected child objects.

An LDAP Query for all objects will return OU and only those child objects, where List Object permissions have been granted

List Contents

(List Object not granted or denied)

N/A

The OU will NOT be visible. As List Contents is granted to the OU, this will take precedence over any missing List Object permissions for child objects and AD will automatically list all objects in the container.

A delegated administrator cannot browse to the OU or child objects in ADUC.

An LDAP Query for all objects will NOT return the OU object, but ALL of its child objects.

Neither List Contents nor List Object is granted

N/A

The OU will NOT be visible. As neither List Contents nor List Object is granted to the container object (OU), AD will NOT evaluate any permission of the child objects.

A delegated administrator cannot browse to the OU or child objects in ADUC.

An LDAP Query for all objects will NOT return the OU or any of its child objects.