Ask your company what problem they hope to solve, or what added functionality they hope to get, by going with a 3rd party product. Then ask them if that problem/functionality is worth the purchase and implementation cost.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tom Kern
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 8:08 AM
To: activedirectory
Subject: [ActiveDir] DHCP(ot)

My company wants to use 3rd party dhcp product like Bluecat's Adonis 500 or 1000 instead of Windows DHCP.

Is there really any compelling reason to dump or not dump Windows DHCP?

We are running a Win2k3 Forest FFL Win2k3 with all our clients Win2k pro at the moment and Exchange 2k3.

We do have a lot of Solaris servers running Sybase and other backend network services as well.

I'm just wondering why the pros or cons are of moving away from Windows DHCP in this area.

I think the pros of WIN DHCP is its free and the abilty to prevent rouge DHCP servers(if they're running win2k and above, of course).

I think most DHCP servers can do DDNS these days on behalf of the client so that's probably not an issue.
Most can also give clients additionally info in the scope options like dns ip,domain name,etc.

So, i was wondering if i'm missing anything.

Also, has anyone used Bluecat's DHCP product in their network?

Thanks alot