Excellent thanks for the info Brett.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brett Shirley
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 5:32 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Reducing number of Global Catalogs

Ignoring the fairly over-discussed if every DC is a GC anyway, the
Infrastructure FSMO / Master (IM) can be on GC aspect ...

In "the standard forest" (if there is such a thing) with a mix of DCs and
GCs, the Infrastructure FSMO must be on a non-GC, for both win2k and win2k3.
There has been no change here.

What you might be thinking of is the fact that we (in fact I) made it so a
win2k3 DC can perform the duties of the Domain Naming FSMO / Master even if
it is not a GC.  Win2k only knowns how to perform the duties of the Naming
FSMO on a GC.

Basically the contstraints were such that for win2k these two roles couldn't
even exist on the same machine.  Now they can both be held on a non-GC as of
Win2k3.

Cheers,
BrettSh [msft]