Thanks Joe for your quick and very well explained reply.

For question 2, I never wanted to rename the domain regardless if a tool was available or not.  That is why I want to go with something more generic.  As for question 3, that sort of holds me up and makes my course of action change.

Thanks again,

Edwin

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 11:37 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Active Directory Naming Question

1. The domain name can be disjoint from the Exchange domain names handled. In fact, I have a joeware.local which handles mail for joeware.local, joeware.net, and joeware2.net. It could just as easily be hosting bob.com and steve.com email.

2. Yes it can. But don't go into a new domain thinking you will rename it. You should try to avoid the rename options. They can be involved.

3. Ah no. When you create your domain, if it isn't joined to a forest at that point, you are creating a new forest. You won't be joining any other forests later, if you need to be in another forest you will be migrating to a new domain in that forest. You need to sit down and chat with the Bus2 IT folks and DNS folks and network folks and get an idea of what the future holds if not everything worked out before you start spinning anything up that you want to have that isn't completely temporary.