-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Susan Bradley,
CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 7:08 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] ZeroDay-WMF

What did I do?

1.  Fired up Trend and blocked the wmf files
2.  Fired up ISA and blocked WMF images
3. On my high risk workstations [uh...mine] enabled DEP for all programs [and seriously considering doing this for all as I'm 100% borg XP sp2 here]
How to Configure Memory Protection in Windows XP SP2:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsxp/depcnfxp.ms
px
3.  Ensured that the a/v dats were covering it
4.  Informed all of what was going on and telling them to 'be careful'.

I have not unregistered that dll as to me... ripping that out like that is last resort. You will break a lot of stuff.

E-Bitz - SBS MVP the Official Blog of the SBS "Diva" : So if you have ISA here are some things you can do:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2005/12/28/79908.aspx
E-Bitz - SBS MVP the Official Blog of the SBS "Diva" : Blocking those WMF's at the email border:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2005/12/28/79925.aspx
E-Bitz - SBS MVP the Official Blog of the SBS "Diva" : WMF and blocking:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2005/12/29/79966.aspx

Noah Eiger wrote:

Susan -

I examined the steps you provided for unregistering shimgvw.dll but notes at http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2005/12/zero-day-wmf-exploit.html seem to indicate that this will only help if you get an infected attachment in email. Or did I mis-read that?

Also, if this is a good stop-gap, are you deploying it via script/GPO?

At least until MS patches?

Thanks.

-- nme

12/29/2005