The problem is that we have over 200 servers with different roles.  I wish Unicenter had an agent that can look at a server that is set to automatic and if its stopped, send an alert.  I know MOM does this.  This seems link this is going to be a tedious job.

-Devon

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rich Milburn
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 9:52 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Default Services

Hi Devon… boy that’s a loaded question J  I think the only definitive answer to that is “it depends,” but follow that up by “only the ones that are absolutely necessary.”  I’ve been in that exact same situation, with Unicenter, so I know that neither answer is any practical help!  Oh wait, coffee kicking in… I see that you said “default”… Load up Windows server 2000, and also 2003 (they are different lists), and do a simple net start >services.txt – but I don’t think that is the list of what you really want to monitor.

When you are configuring service monitoring, I would start out by getting a list of the services that are running on each server, and then eliminating the ones that are, what’s the word I’m looking for... redundant?  For example, it’s silly to monitor the SNMP service with an SNMP agent – if the SNMP service goes down, you won’t get a report via SNMP.  You should (IMHO) start out monitoring a subset of your total services, and select the ones that are specific to a server’s function.  On each server, pick out which services are running that, if stopped, will mean a loss of service.  For example, losing MSSQL service would be bad on a SQL server.  WW Web Publishing Service would be bad to lose on a Web server.  And so on.  Pick a couple on each server, and monitor those to start with.  Other things to select for are dependencies – not just in the service defs, but for example if SNMP service goes down, you’ll have all the others go red and send events too.  Otherwise, if you’re not careful, you’ll end up with a red map all the time, and it won’t mean anything.

I wish I still had lists for Win2K… but that was 2 years ago on a different continent.

Rich

Rich Milburn
MCSE, Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Sr Network Analyst, Field Platform Development
Applebee's International, Inc.

4551 W. 107th St
Overland Park, KS 66207
913-967-2819
”I love the smell of red herrings in the morning” - anonymous