And Gil Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Someone needs to do a cost-benefit analysis. I would guess that 2
> forests = 1.6x the operations costs more or less.

I agree with both of you. You're preaching to the choir here! And, since
I'm in the Church biz, I've heard that homily many times, too.

I'm a tech, so even though my opinion is respected in our IT department,
and my bosses agree wholeheartedly with me, over the years we have had
to become almost entirely customer-driven or have all our services
outsourced elsewhere. It has already happened with two of our six
organizations, and it's about to happen with a third one. This
particular org is one of the three that remain. So, I do what I'm told
so tomorrow won't see me being walked out the door like so many of my
colleagues in the past few years.

Our goal here is obviously to show this particular organization how
incredibly expensive it will be for them to be in their own forest just
so they can have their OoO going to the internet. But, with all the
other autonomy they want, it may happen, anyway.

Now, to complicate matters, many years ago when I first installed
Exchange 5.5 for 5 of our organizations (one had left by then), this
organization got their very own Exchange 5.5 server, too. And, I enabled
OoO to the internet, mostly because back then, 95% of email was good and
only 5% was bad. But, this particular org had only climbed on board with
their Exchange server because it was the end of the fiscal year, they
had a few grand to spend or lose it, so they got Exchange. Except, they
didn't have enough money or microcomputer resources to switch to
Exchange, so that server gathered dust for years. Just last June they
decided they wanted Exchange, so I convinced them to just format the
Exchange 5.5 server and go directly to Exchange 2003. Out of Office was
not going to the Internet, because when I upgraded everybody to Exchange
2003, I decided in this day and age of spam and viruses that it was a
very bad idea. Management agreed with me.

Now, we have two remaining Exchange 5.5 servers, for two of the other
orgs. These folks will lose their OoO to the internet, and some of them
will raise such a stink that we'll be forced to turn it back on, anyway,
thus negating all the work of taking this other org to their own forest.

Whew. This is way too long, so everybody have a nice cup of coffee on me
- I'll ftp 'em to you!

(At least I'll have job security for a really long time, with all this
thrashing about.)

--
Larry Wahlers
Concordia Technologies