Brief steps:

1. Logon with Ent Admin rights. Open ADSI Edit, locate the user-Display object
(in CN=409,CN=DisplaySpecifiers,CN=Configuration,DC=yourdomain,DC=yourTLD).
2. Select the adminContextMenu attribute. Add to the attribute the value "2,
&Employee ID, \\location\script.vbs" (without quotes). Don't remove existing
entries, and if number 2 is already in use, select the next available number.
3. Create script.vbs and place in the correct location (Personally, I use
SYSVOL for the scripts since that way the scripts are replicated around and are
available to all users.)
4. Start ADU&C and right-click any user object, select "Employee ID" in the
context menu.

The attached exposes emp ID as well as 2 other attributes. Remove the parts you
don't need.

If you need to view and edit the emp id then you'll need to extend the script.

I have another script which exposes various other user related data. (Bad pw
count, last logon etc)

neil

PS I should put this in a blog or article I guess :)

Neil Ruston
Global Technology Infrastructure
Nomura International plc