Understood. Every job has challenges, they vary, but they all exist. Well at
least every job I have had has had challenges. Without them I wonder why I
am there and start getting into trouble. ;o)

I don't know everything you are doing. I expect there is nothing you can do
that will all of a sudden just free up 3 hours a day for you. But what
things are you not looking at because you feel it is quicker just to take
care of it manually? Could be nothing but that wouldn't be normal as people
tend to do that. The point being I could list things for a long time that
couldn't really be scripted either but that does nothing to help you work
towards scripting the things that can be. How many issues have you
encountered that were due to someone making a mistake that possibly could
have been alleviated if a script had done the work instead of someone
manually doing it in ADUC? Though from the description you give here, you
probably don't touch ADUC but once a quarter. Not to be mean but would be
surprised if that were accurate.

I certainly don't relate anymore to doing everything from blowing on toner
cartidges to looking for mice bites in the network closet on the network
cables but at some point I did do it and other things like it and did
survive and move on. As someone else indicated, if things are so impossible
to complete the management needs to get involved and help needs to be
brought in. Interns are a good idea, both folks trying to switch into
something new and also go check out the local high school too for some folks
in the computer classes. These folks get the low end work (blowing on
printer cartridges, carting paper to the printers, etc).

The printer stuff I agree with Brian on completely. Most large companies do
farm out all support for printers, they aren't worth having local IT people
work on them. If your management doesn't buy into that, start tracking your
time you spend on them detailing to the minute you spend taking calls and
traveling to and from them and working on them and combine in the time that
the users can't use the printer (if it prevents them from working) into it.
Then at the end of the month you present that to your management and make
sure you point out how much you are making hourly. Regardless of what you
make, it is very likely an external printer support model which includes
leasing newer devices with full support will be cheaper (basically a page
print model). If not, the manager has decided that that is your job and
there is nothing else to do about it, drop it and move on to something else.

Overall that guidance goes for everything you do. Track what you are doing
to the minute for a month and then seriously sit down and determine where a
majority of the time is being spent. What items cause that time to be spent,
can any of it be delegated, removed, or automated by you or ANYONE else.
Then work on the next biggest category, etc. Who knows maybe you will find a
single HP 8100 that is sucking up 3 hours a week which if you make as little
as say $20 an hour which is at the low end $30 an hour for the employer is
$90 per week or over $4500 a year... All for one printer. Plus what things
aren't being done during those 156 hours that could make a difference in how
well the company works? It could be something else, say the time you spend
unloading a truck or whatever, survey what is being done, figure out root
causes, categorize it all, find out where the waste is that you can attack.

Of course, not to be mean though it may sound so, but the alternative is to
sit back and decide no one has ever done what you are doing and it is being
done the only way it can possibly be done. It may or may not be accurate, I
nor anyone else on this list is in any position to judge. Certainly they can
be no change unless you instigate it. Without deviation from the norm, there
can be no progress. Don't expect a magic bullet, my previous post wasn't
even trying to intimate that. You win this game by saving minutes here and
there as they add up to hours and days over months. In the meanwhile you use
the little bits of gained time to work on being proactive in some other
area.

If I were buried in a small office environment and I couldn't find a way
from doing the surveys of everything to get some sort of handle on it I
would document everything and try to sweet talk Susan Bradley into trying to
help me out with what I do as I may be missing resources I wasn't aware of.
The Small Business World is different from the Big Business World and she is
one of the people I know that is very involved in knowing how to best handle
it.

One item to help get attention is to make #4 wait while working on #1. Then
when asked you can say, yeah, not only am I the one who is the "expert" on
your machine installation, but I also have to keep our old printers working.
VPs don't like to hear that generally because many of them are quite spoiled
but it does get their attention. I did something similar once with the head
executive of the financial division of a very large company that had HIS
name on the side of the buildings. He wanted a one off PC set up for him and
supported by me, basically he wanted Win95 instead of Win3.1. I was very
clear that the standard was Win3.1. He asked what was stopping him from
going down to CompUSA and buying the CD and installing it himself. I said
there is absolutely nothing stopping you Ed, your family owns this company.
But consider that you will then be in a position where we can't support you
very well or possibly at all because you will have a different setup than
the other 2000 people in this building. Also think about this, you feel this
standard load is unuseable, how well do you think everyone else likes it?
How is it impacting their capability? I am not saying it was entirely me,
but within a few months, a whole bunch of money was allocated to convert the
users in that building to Windows 95 and then the other 8000 or so folks in
the rest of the division. The rest of the company was already doing Windows
95 but the Finance folks didn't want to pay for the upgrade so we were stuck
with the older stuff. Finance folks never want to spend money on computer
equipment it seems.

Anyway enough stories of days gone by.

Whenever I hear something all of a sudden happened, it generally says
something changed. It isn't common for things to just all of a sudden stop
working without help. If you have very strict standards documented on how
things are configured and then set them up to be built with scripts if
possible so you have consistency, you get to look at whatever it is to see
if that is still the the configuration. If not, reconfigure back to standard
and let the people know you know it got touched.

The different OSes. Again document how much extra time it takes to handle
all of the different things and point that out to management. If it takes 4
hours per OS to figure it out and a manager takes out his little calculator
and realizes he/she is burning 12 hours for probably nothing, they start to
think about how to correct and working towards a common platform naturally
starts happening.

Survey survey survey, track track track track. Telling folks it takes about
this much time each time or it takes a lot of time will not get changes into
place unless the person you are telling starts tracking it and most likely
unless they are a really good manager, they won't. Note this isn't something
I was just born knowing. I had a manager back at the company I mentioned
above early on do this to me. He tracked the various things I griped about
and when he asked me questions about it I thought he was just trying to make
me feel better. At the end of a month, he asked me how I had spent my time
for the month and which things burned up the most time. I admitted I didn't
know but felt it was X. It wasn't X, X wasn't even in the top ten, it was
just the last thing I had worked on. In fact he could tell me in terms of
time and effort what had burned up my time. We started making plans to knock
those down. I felt like a complete tool. After that I was careful to try and
understand where my time was spent when I considered myself buried so I
could adequately explain where and why I was buried so I could get help with
it or figure out myself a way to reduce it. I am glad he made me feel like a
complete tool because it really shaped how I worked from then on and made me
more efficient.

Not sure what you consider file maintanence but I did indeed automate what
we called file maintenance at the same company mentioned above. When we
switched from about 100 OS/2 Servers to 4 NT4 servers we went from using
about 150MB of disk space to using multiple GBs of space in the course of
maybe 6 months. I mentioned this previously that I wrote a perl script that
scanned the file shares and created a nice big report of all of the files.
The tool got better and better as it tried to work out which files were the
same (such as the latest joke EXE running around or latest picture jokes,
etc) and would flag them for me to look at them manually so in the end, I
didn't have to look at everything, I looked at few things and deleted them
as necessary and contacted the users and the managers to let them know what
I did and why. Problems like that slowly start to correct themselves and if
they don't, you buy some good quota software and slap it into place and tell
the folks to have at it. If they want a quota increase, then you walk
through every file they have in their folders with them. If it is lejit,
give them the space. If it isn't, they probably won't be bothering you
again. After a while, you start to get a feel for what you should see in the
file listing and set up the scripts to filter it more and more something
that may take hours a week drops to maybe an hour or less. If you have good
backups, heck just set up the process to start cleaning up after the backups
and just delete things. If it is MP3's, MPGs, and various images depending
on what your company does, you could see a surprising gain in disk space and
the folks will be scared to ask you to restore their files anyway and
consider themselves lucky for not being hauled in front of a manager.

To wrap this overly long note up. Nothing anyone on this list says will
apply 100% to anyone else. The environments vary greatly and what I think is
a great idea in one place I will think is a horrible idea somewhere else let
alone what others may think. Basically it is up to Rocky, if you say it
isn't possible to make what you do more efficient, I can't argue the point,
I have no ground to stand on.