Thanks everyone for your replies.  I can see that I have a lot of discussion to look forward to with the network engineers.  I definitely have enough information to get me started in making a good decision.

If only Longhorn and Vista were released already then it would seem as though my question could be more easily answered.

Thank you again everyone.

Edwin

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Al Garrett
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 9:55 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Getting better control over DHCP

As somebody earlier mentioned, Cisco has the Port Security option on their switches, if you happen to be running a Cisco network.

Once a device is plugged in, only that device can use the port. Unplug it and plug something else in and the port shuts down.

In the same vein, Cisco has Network Access Control (NAC) for doing the antivirus checks, patch checks, etc. Your laptop doesn’t meet certain criteria, it isn’t allowed on the network.

Al