Wow! Thank you. I had a feeling that posting a question like that would generate some interesting traffic.

I am fortunate in this case to be able to guide much of the policy (though there will be some battles) as well as rebuild all of the DCs (they are all getting traded out for new boxes). I also got them to sign off on forbidding anonymous IDs (which I have stamped out except for those weird service accounts for Backup Exec or Exchange). I believe that policies will backup the tighter security.

One thing I keep running into is the fact that this company is geographically dispersed. Folks feel they are “out there” alone and just as they want to be able to fix their truck when it stalls, they want to tinker with their computers. For sure, this shows up with the local-admin-demands-on-the-workstation fights but also on the network. I need to be able to assure them that they are reasonably supported “out there”.

While there is lots to ask about these responses, a few pop to mind:

- Al, how has the securing the Builtin administrator account password gone badly? I have done this at several places and just want to know what to watch out for.

- Joe, are there legitimate cases where an explicit ACE has been assigned in the directory?

- In a way, I am seeing some folks with three accounts: standard users, administrator, and DA / EA. The administrator account would be the one that gets some delegated permissions.

- Practical question: I know how to prevent folks for logging on interactively but how can I restrict admins from accessing the Internet on the machines where they can log in. (And is that a good idea?)

Thanks again.

-- nme