From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:57 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Script to transfer FSMO roles.

>> That is not true, the schema and naming FSMOs also have extensive state
that is sensitive and critical, however the frequency of the updates is
significantly less, and thus less likely to cause an issue.

- what's not true .. yes it is? :o)
- schema FSMO, domain naming FSMO -- state?  I guess this is a matter of
perspective then ... personally, I don't consider an entire partition to be
state (or a crossRef or an NC head or ...), they are IMO the result of a
mostly controlled, single-mastered update not the state of the role holder
that introduced the change(s).  State, in this context, defines something
particular to the role that indicates its position within a sequence of
events ... or knowledge of what it did last time ... or information relevant
to "what to do next" ... or ...

>> Having personally been on PSS cases for people who've f-d up thier
forest, because they didn't understand the concept of the F-Single-Master-O

- nod, I imagine many have a sadly similar experience.

>> and which data each is responsible for, I do not recommend seizing any
roles except one.

- neither do I ... but the need does arise (seizing I mean).  That's not to
say I advocate scripting it (per my original post) though scripting a
transfer has, to date, been a non-issue.

>> It is not good to conflict the NCs, hard to undo, and even worse to
conflict the schema.

- good point, most (including the relatively inexperienced) are aware of
this (I hope).

>>If you're a novice, here is what you should remember, IMNHO
>>      - Only the PDC is safe for seizing.

- don't agree, for example -
        : think impact on BDCs ... they do still exist
        : timesync; most will forget the necessary reconfiguration
        : AOB

>>      - The infrastructure master is probably safe (I've never
>>        really thought it through enough to vouch for it).

- I've seized it often (under test conditions) and occasionally in
production = no problems or observed side effects of any kind.

        - Seizing any other role is a complicate process that will require
          learning of some DS internals, and a few steps.

The process for seizure, should be
        A) Understand what data that FSMO owns, and think carefully if
           ANYONE has updated that data on a DC that is somehow
           unavailable to the forest at this moment, and could be brought
           back to the forest?
            a. If it could be brought back, you must then decide to not
               bring it back _EVER_, destroy the DC before seizure.  Or
               bring it back and let it's changes replicate out.
        B) By seizing you can break the F-Single-Master-O model, and
           effectively have the potential to multi-mastered the data on
           more than one DCs, conflicting the data in a very bad way...
        C) Run repadmin /syncall <target-Seizer-DC> <NC-related-to-FSMO>
           to guarantee your forest has a consistent view of the data in
           question you want to seize.
        D) Finally perform the seizure, don't use a script, don't temp
           yourself with it.  Use ntdsutil / dsmgmt.
        E) Finally, evaluate what you did to cause this seizure?  Did you
           take down a box without properly demoting it?  Institute an
           IT policy that allows for that mistake never to happen again,
           seizures should not be a part of any IT operation, unless you
           experienced critical hardware failure.

>> Dean is right, it's the wrong place to fixup RID seizure in ntdsutil
though, but I also think an LDAP modification performing a seizure, and a
LDAP control for performing the more common transfer is ass backwards as
well, so what do I know.

- the seizure approach is odd IMO though the transfer approach makes sense
(at least to me).  I would also very much like to see all necessary related
directory mods. made server-side.

I wrote this mail in a hurry, so didn't proof it, probably mistakes ...

BrettSh [msft]
Building #7 Garage Door Operator