Is the server strictly a file server? No domain-based services required?
If they're currently not in a domain, and just need access to the one
server, I'd certainly leave them in a workgroup. Since they'll only have
one server, you probably don't want to make the file server a DC as
well; may as well make all the users domain admins. Plus, you'd probably
want a second DC for redundancy, plus you'll need DNS, etc. I'd just
leave it as a workgroup. Add them to your domain later when it's
appropriate...

Charlie Kaiser
W2K3 MCSA/MCSE/Security, CCNA
Systems Engineer