You may want to start by looking at some commercial products and see what functions they perform and what they monitor.  NetPro's Change Auditor is great, and the MOM AD MP (entire Technical Guide is available) would be two nice starting points. If I remember correctly, NetPro also has an AD Health product.

If you don't want to pay, then you can start scripting based upon what you see common among all of the commercial products available.

Ryan