A perfect example of the difference between big server world and SBS-land.
In big server world the tendency is to try and turn everything off that
doesn't absolutely have to be on where I think the tendency in SBS-land is
to have everything on, heck the DC is even running Exchange, it can't get
much worse than that...

Seriously though, most companies have found that many "cool" Microsoft
technologies rarely scale well to large environments. All of the little
broadcasts and such that are fine on a small network with 15 PCs are ok but
once you get into segments with hundreds of machines on networks with
hundreds of thousands of machines things can get ugly.

The less you have turned on, the less you have to worry about breaking and
then trying to figure out how to fix. Big companies have enough other issues
to deal with like how to change the email addresses of some 10,000 users who
are now in a new division that needs a new name but is still in the main
email system, etc.

In general new "cool" things are adopted much more slowly if ever in large
environments unless those things were initially scaled to enterprise sizes
in design and are intended to make the enterprise more liveable in a way
that the admins and management feel it needs to be more liveable.
Unfortunately, most of the MS stuff doesn't qualify, usually on the first
points.

Active Directory things, now those are often cool and needed, but not say
link tracking which worked great in mom and pop areas but devastated some
large companies until they knew they could delete all of that useless crap.

Microsoft has always had and seems to still have serious issues in testing
several things

1. Scaled deployments
2. Reduced permission sets
3. Disjoint namespace or other unusual deployments that are not the result
of clicking ok all of the time
4. Generic group selection (for instance LCS requires Global Groups... What
century is this? Boneheads)
5. Multidomain forests
6. Multiforest deployments

Basically if you do not have an environment that you built with point and
click and hitting OK several times then you need to test test test before
you implement most MS anything. Even if you do, I still think you should
test test test before you implement anything. But since you are probably
small too and the idea of a test lab makes you laugh uncontrollably because
you could barely get production hardware, I understand.

--
O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition -
http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm