Using virtual disk file backups or images for AD disaster recovery has USN-rollback perils that have been discussed several times here. It's worth a visit to the archives to check those out before staking your disaster recovery abilities on this strategy.

On the other hand, using AD-aware backups in conjunction with virtual servers *does* greatly simplify the hardware issues during a restore, and may be worth considering for that benefit alone.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ken Cornetet
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:04 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Disaster Recovery

I do a backup of the C: drive and system state using NTBACKUP to a file on an alternate DC, then I back up the whole DC (files and system state) using Legato Networker. Why the NTBACKUP? Just in case...

I've done a couple of hotsite test recoveries of our DCs (HP DL380G2) to various other HP server models, and even to Dells. I've never had a major problem doing this with server 2003 (windows 2000, on the other hand, seemed to always give me grief).

I have toyed with the idea of having a couple of DCs running on virtual servers. I'd create a perl script to nightly shut down the DCs, copy the virtual disk files, then bring the DCs back up. I want to do this not so much for the hardware independence, but rather for the speed of recovery.