I do not have first hand experience with it but have been speaking to some
very trusted friends who have been trying to implement it and pretty much
anything they say I would take as if I saw it myself. From what I hear there
are some "odd" ACEs added to the ACLs (I believe at the NC Head level) that
make no sense but are required or you can't install LCS Servers. I believe
specifically there is something with a property set that is absolutely
worthless (I don't recall the details now). Also you can't substitute the
ACEs, you must have the exact ACEs in place that the LCS prep puts into
place. That means they aren't checking access rights, they are scanning the
ACL looking for a specific ACE which ranks up there with some of the worst
things I have seen out of any AD enabled app. This isn't very unusual for
Exchange related stuff. The Exchange folks don't seem to really know how to
use AD properly and LCS came from Exchange folks and has Exchange Dev all
over it. Exchange itself had some very odd delegations that had to be made
in the early E2K timeframe that I ran into and bugged that was absolutely
meaningless as well if you were trying to delegate minimal permissions. I
recall there was one delegation of an attribute that only existed on some
config container objects but needed to be applied to users or else the GUI
tools wouldn't work. Completely assinine stuff. I guess they are hitting the
same crap with LCS.

To add even more pain, the MCS guy that my friends have been working with
has been just a hair above useless for the whole thing so probably better to
sit down and work it out yourself than contract MCS to come in and help out.
I have personal experience with the specific MCS person and I am not
entirely surprised though this is just one more area where he is supposed to
be knowledgeable and this customer is so large that you would expect MCS
wouldn't be dumb and send in someone who isn't pretty good with the product.

Basically, if you are being forced to use it, you don't have much choice,
lube up and go for it. If you do have a choice, go through the product with
a fine tooth comb in the lab and document all of the crap and then complain
to MS. Possibly if enough people tell them that the functionality isn't good
enough to deal with a shitty implementation they might get a clue. Most
likely it has gone as far as it has is because most people don't have a clue
what they are doing when they are installing things and assume anything out
of MS will be done correctly and never verify the changes made in the
directory and how much sense they may or may not make.

Oh another thing, there is some global group requirement built into LCS for
admining the product, from what I heard you have NO CHOICE but to use global
groups. This is yet another product that demonstrates that just because it
came out of MS doesn't mean it is good or should just be implemented.

O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition -
http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

  _____