If you look at the Microsoft document on Metadata cleanup it states this as a step:

Use ADSIEdit to delete the FRS member object. To do this, follow these steps:

a.

Click Start, click Run, type adsiedit.msc in the Open box, and then click OK

b.

Expand the Domain NC container.

c.

Expand DC=Your Domain, DC=COM, PRI, LOCAL, NET.

d.

Expand CN=System.

e.

Expand CN=File Replication Service.

f.

Expand CN=Domain System Volume (SYSVOL share).

g.

Right-click the domain controller you are removing, and then click Delete.

Make sure you clean up DNS!

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216498

- Sergio