Wow.. This is complicated stuff!

Thanks so much for the info!

Jose :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steve Linehan
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 12:14 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] How to verify which DC authenticated a user
account?

Just be aware that the %Logonserver% value is not updated if the secure
channel drifts after logon and does not necessarily mean that the server
has always had its secure channel with that machine.  This can happen if
the machine experiences and error communicating with that logon server.
If you run nltest /sc_query:<domain> on the member server where domain
is the member servers domain then you can see what DC you currently have
your secure channel with and are doing pass-through authentication with.
You can then go to that DC and if the accounts are from another domain
find out what DC in that account domain he has his secure channel with.
You basically need to build the pass-through authentication path which
can be quite complex when many domains and servers are involved.  This
is assuming that you are using NTLM.  If you are using Kerberos then the
machine that you have your secure channel with and the logonserver
variable only tell you a state in time and this can change over time and
unless it is doing protocol transition or delegation the client is doing
all of the heavy lifting up front to get a ticket.  If you think you are
having performance issues because you are going to a remote DC and
believe you are using NTLM you can turn up netlogon logging with a
dbflag of 0x2080ffff for general logging and see how long it is taking
as well as if the secure channel is failing or changing.  Once you find
the DCs involved you could use Server Performance Advisor (Assuming
Windows Server 2003) and see what type of authentication load they are
handling.  I mention this because I have seen cases where group
expansion is killing the DCs response time and that will be apparent in
the SPA report.  Also be aware that if these reporting servers or
database server, depending on exactly how it is configured, are doing
many NTLM pass-through authentications a second that they could be
running into the maxconcurrentapi limitation that is described here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326040/en-us and can try bumping it up
to see if it helps, this is assuming everything else checks out and is
healthy and that you are using NTLM.  I assume that these servers
pulling reports are doing it on behalf of users and authenticating those
users, i.e. a multi-tiered application?  Anyway probably more
information that you really wanted to know but if you can fill in some
of the blanks on what errors you are seeing and the typical access flow
for the servers involved we may be able to comment more.  Also where on
which servers you are seeing the authentication errors will also help.

Thanks,

-Steve