This is a good thread, I should have kept up with it. :)

I think some of the problem is resulting from language interpretation. When
I visualize AD in regards to the topics in this thread I think of it sort of
like

-----------
|         |
|  "AD"   |
|         |
-----------
|         |
| DBLAYER |
|         |
-----------
|         |
|   DB    |
|         |
-----------

Depending on who you are you make look at all three boxes as AD and truly
for most everyone that is the case. However when speaking at the internal
component level these are three main areas, it could be broken up into even
more like for instance SAM, Kerb, Replication, LDAP, etc.

But I think where some confusion may have come in when saying AD dblayer. To
many that would read as the DB. But I am reading it as the layer that
interfaces or more properly abstracts the the lower DB portions from the
high level AD stuff. That way you could jack up AD and slide another DB
under it say something good like Oracle or MySQL or notepad or something
<eg> and make most adjustments at the dblayer, sort of like a HAL. So we
could call the dblayer something more like DBAL. I expect the abstraction
isn't that fully fleshed out and there is still dependencies based on the
underlying DB tech but I expect that could be worked through rather
speedily, those AD Dev guys are a generally smart bunch.

Microsoft could look into a reuse system for older DNTs but it would be more
logical, IMO, to just expand the bit size of the variable. Since again,
these DNTs are local it wouldn't be an issue except in the case of IFM
promos, you would now be in a situation where you could IFM from a machine
with a 32 bit DNT to one with 32 bit DNTs or 64 Bit DNTs but if you have a
backup from a 64 bit machine you could only IFM with another 64 bit machine
(even that could be made to work if you could guarantee that the high half
of the variable wasn't being used but you would be silly to even start going
in that direction).

Anyway... Chase down the guy who stole the bit and get it back and we double
the DNTs, fire someone and get another bit and double again (and you thought
bits were just small little things...). Get it over with and go to 64 bits
or really have fun and use 128. Of course this has implications on
performance on 32 bit machines but those should be dropping off now that we
are saying people need to load 64 bit OSes anyway - who is going to want to
run 32 bit DCs with 64 bit Exchange pounding on them[1]? MS did it for
Exchange, why not force the issue with AD as well in LH? Exchange 12 is due
out before LH isn't it? Everyone should be used to being slapped and told
they have to say they like it by then. :)

  joe

[1] Being facetious here, though I don't really expect MS Exch Dev to change
how they recommend DC hardware for Exchange.

--
O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition -
http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm