This is old, I sort of apologize. This is a topic some of us have debated in
circles over on the MVP / MS Private Security List Server multiple times as
well. It is always fun because the opinions are all over. I have some
thoughts for it.

1. A passphrase is just like a password only you have bigger "chunks" or
password building blocks, as soon as this becomes common practice or is
forced across an entire environment the cracking tools just need to work
towards adopting this mechanism as well, instead of looping through letters,
you loop through words. This is done to a limited extent now but it could be
done much more efficiently, especially if the domain policy says you need 20
characters or something. \

2. You don't set 90 day password expiration to only prevent brute force
attacks. You use it to lessen how far out a password reaches. People are
horrible with secrets, how many of you as support techs have walked up to a
desk and said, yeah what is your password and then gotten it? Or maybe
looked at the sticky notes on the monitor, or if the person was really
secure look in the bottom drawer. Now, assume you aren't the only person
smart enough to ask for that password or look. So now the password is out
there... How long do you want it to be valid for before knocking it down?
For normal users I don't like policies less than 91 days (user exercise to
figure out why 91 instead of 90 days , I have mentioned it before), it is
just plain annoying and a 30 or 60 day normal user policy is almost
guaranteeing some sort of pattern or written down password.

Now for admin accounts password changes every 30 days I don't have much
trouble with. With service/application IDs I don't have a problem with
password changes every day. It can be implemented, I have done it. It just
isn't easy nor the default. Certainly I cringe whenever I hear about someone
who has a very important very powerful service ID and are asking how to make
it non-expiring... Just kills me. There was one critical application
(Corporate Web Portal) whose password I accidently saw when doing a trace on
a domain controller looking at LDAP packets (LDAP simple bind in the clear)
and it was a very memorable password, it was the name of an enemy of
Superman; the one who didn't have any vowels in his name. I immediately
approached the app owners to say bad bad bad from many angles. They said
thanks. I was fired from that position... Then I got rehired 6 months later,
did another network trace and guess what ID and password I saw again... Why
didn't they change the password? Because the app made it difficult. That is
not a good reason.

The reference to the -500 accounts is accurate. Very long nasty passwords
that got locked into envelopes. Never used those accounts in the 5 or so
years I might have needed a reason. Why not worry about changing them? There
wasn't a soul that could remember them and no one used the accounts so we
simply monitored authentications (good and bad) and password changes for the
account. Any hit on any of them meant something to look into though bad hits
were pretty common.

Thoughts on 2-factor? The second factor (not the one you know but the one
you have) needs to be something people can't forget to bring to work with
them because companies care more about people working than security, I used
to run into that all of the time and we only required SecurID FOBS for
password resets of delegated "admin" IDs. Personally I wanted to say that
anyone who asked to have an "admin" ID reset that had forgotten their FOB
and they were willing to admit that A) they forgot their admin password and
B)forgot their FOB were fired on the spot. Something like the Austin Powers
push button and their chair flips over and flames shoot up from the hole
they fall through. Do you really want people like that managing stuff for
other people?

Anyway... until we start embedding RFIDs in our skulls I don't know how we
will handle that except for biometrics but folks out there seem to be having
fun breaking those systems and showing them to be unsafe. I don't have a
problem with embedding an RFID with my personal info as long as I have a way
to turn it off or otherwise control what it outputs. I would want it to
output PISS OFF until I actually wanted something and then I could tell it
what info I wanted it to kick out.

O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition -
http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm