My first travesty with said blos, was when an admin could not reset a users password via the MMC.   After some PSS support, it turns out it was the NWCLIENT attributes stored in the userParameters field.   As it turns out these users in the NT4 days had the Netware client piece, and when they were migrated with ADMT to 2000, this nugget came with it.

The solution?   Just clear the userParameters attribute for all affected users if I remember.

I think there is a KB article on it now.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] TScmd help
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 19:05:10 -0400

Joe? joe? me?

The TS Attributes are stored in an amazingly efficient and highly useful format called a blob. Blob as you may or may not know stands for Big Lump of ahhhh, Ok, for now on we will call what the TS attributes are stored in a Blos. So this Blos is kept in the userParameters attribute. It is a form of a name value pair setup but is entirely undocumented by MS and dorking with it is surely going to impact how PSS supports you when you encounter an issue. Instead of hearing the ubiquitous "That is By Design" or "I need you to crash the server and send us a dump" you will hear the almost as ubiquitous "That is unsupported" or "You are Unsupportable in that state". There have been some attempts in the SAMBA space to decode that information and I am not at liberty to say how they are doing on it but keep in mind, they may not have access to all different configs using that attribute because TS attributes are not the only ones that go in there.

Yes, Microsoft had the opportunity to fix the issues with that and userAccountControl 6+ years ago with the release of AD and yes they did refuse that opportunity. On the positive side some thought is now going into userAccountControl nowadays with ADAM though it is still quite quite..... quite rough. TS attributes unfortunately, are still dorked. I don't see that they are attempting to clean it up either, maybe they (MSFT) are hoping they (the attributes) will just get sick and tired of being treated like second class citizens and just go away. When people ask me about setting them with admod I tend to say, go away, don't come back until you grow up and become real attributes. You can set it with admod right now, you just need to know the actual binary chunk to send into admod to do it.

O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition - http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm