There is no point in messing about with memory config if you only have a three
drive RAID 5 array. Disk config is critical. How many users do you want to put
on this box. less than 100?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Dan DeStefano
Sent: Thu 04/05/2006 20:16
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Optimize Exchange Pagefile

        I was wondering if anyone can point me to any MS document that
discusses optimizing the page file on an Exchange box. I found
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815372, but this article does not discuss the
page file. I am running SBS 2003 on a 3 GHZ Xeon with 4GB physical memory and a
3-disk RAID5 array with 2 logical drives. I plan on installing the Exchange
binaries on the first logical drive (which will also contain the system and
boot partitions) and the Exchange databases, logs, queues, etc on the second
logical drive.

        The way I normally set the pagefile on my systems is to set it to be
static and 1.5x physical RAM. I also create a pagefile on each disk and let
Windows choose the best one (which will be the second logical drive). I do not
want to disable the pagefile on C: because, from what I understand, this will
disable crash dumps, which I do not want. However, I set the crash dump to
kernel only, not the entire pagefile. That being said, would it be appropriate
to set the pagefile on C: to something small like 256MB since the OS will be
using the one on the second drive anyway?

        Also, other than not using the /3GB switch, are there any other
differences between the memory/pagefile settings on a regular Exchange box
running WS2k3 and the SBS2k3 version?

        I would appreciate any guidance.

        Dan DeStefano

        Info-lution Corporation

        www.info-lution.com

        MCSE - 2073750

Dan DeStefano
Info-lution Corporation
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.info-lution.com <http://www.info-lution.com/>
Office: 727 546-9143
FAX: 727 541-5888

If you have received this message in error please notify the sender, disregard
any content  and remove it from your possession.

are addressed. As a public body, the Council may be required to disclose this
email,  or any response to it,  under the Freedom of Information Act 2000,
unless the information in it is covered by one of the exemptions in the Act.

If you receive this email in error please notify Stockport e-Services via
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and then permanently remove it from your system.

Thank you.

http://www.stockport.gov.uk

<<winmail.dat>>