Similar here ... Except we set up separate WSUS VM's for workstations
and Servers.

On the workstation VM we setup target groups based on our administrative
divisions.  For example all the HR workstations go into a "HR
workstation" group and all the Financial workstations go into a
"Financials workstations" group... Etc.  We don't divide workstations
out by type or OS in WSUS only by admin division.  We have about 800
workstations pointed at that WSUS server divided out to 12 computer
groups.

It would be a nice enhancement to WSUS that it would actually read AD
computer groups instead of yet again setting up a new group scheme.  One
would think that a MS patching system would know how to use Active
Directory.  Of course, when I talked to a WSUS dev person at TechED two
years ago and asked about why do they limit the install/reboot time
setting in WSUS/SUS to integer hours instead of allowing Admins to use
minutes (e.g. 7:30 or 7:15 or 5:15), he looked at me like I was from
Mars.  So if the WSUS devs can't figure out that time also comes in
minutes instead of just hours maybe they also don't know that Active
Directory computer groups exist. :-)

_Stuart Fuller