-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Thommes, Michael
M.
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 3:38 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] AD DNS along with Bind

Adeel,
    Here is a response from our DNS guy.  I hope it helps you.

Mike Thommes

Here are the steps I took for delegating the AD zones for example.com:

1) In the example.com zone on the BIND server I added these NS records
   to delegate the zone to the Windows 2003 DNS Server:

        _msdcs          IN      NS      windnsserver.example.com.
        _sites          IN      NS      windnsserver.example.com.
        _tcp            IN      NS      windnsserver.example.com.
        _udp            IN      NS      windnsserver.example.com.
        ForestDNSZones  IN      NS      windnsserver.example.com.
        DomainDNSZones  IN      NS      windnsserver.example.com.

2) Define these six zones on the Windows 2003 DNS Server.
   I use ONLY ONE Windows DNS Server due to serial number problems
   that can/will occur with the MS multi-master setup.  See Q282826.

   Insure that the zones are AD-integrated with secure DDNS only.
   Change the zone properties:

        In the SOA insure that the "Responsible person" field has
        the correct e-mail address (with the "@" replaced with ".").

        In the "Name Servers" tab add the BIND slaves (that are the
        registered nameservers for the example.com domain).

        Allow zone transfers to the servers in the Name Servers tab.

        Notify servers in the Name Servers tab.

   These changes will have to be done for each zone, as MS has not
   implemented global zone properties.

3) Define these six zones on the BIND slave DNS servers that are
   registered for the example.com zone.  The master server is
   obviously the Windows 2003 DNS Server.

4) In my case, the parent example.com zone is still on a BIND server,
   so I have manually entered the domain "A" records on that master
   server.

Note that there are three types of DDNS from a Windows machine:

     a) A machine (desktop, server, or DC) self-registering
     b) A DC (netlogon) registering its SRV and CNAME records
     c) A DC (netlogon) registering the domain "A" record.

There are different registry keys controlling each of these, and since
they have been implemented at different times and since some of them
have been reused (from former, still current usage), the interaction
among these registry keys is complicated.  I count 162 different cases,
and I have not had time to test all of them.  If you do not care about
DDNS requests being sent to the BIND master for the example.com zone,
where (I would hope) the DDNS would be refused, then you do not have to
worry about some of these registry keys.

With this setup, the MS Windows DNS Server is a "hidden master".
It is known only via the MNAME (master server name) field in the SOA
(Start of Authority) record in each zone.  If your clients (be they
Unix, Windows, or Mac desktops) have the BIND servers in their TCP/IP
configurations, then these clients will continue to use the BIND servers
for DNS resolution.  This will work for the AD zones, as all of the AD
zones are slaved on the BIND servers.  Any machine that needs to update
the zone (DCs updating CNAME and SRV records), or Windows clients
(self-registration via DHCP) will use secure DDNS, and these machines
will locate the master via a standard SOA query.

There is NO NEED for ANY machine to have the Windows DNS Server in its
TCP/IP configuration as a DNS server.  The nice thing about this is that
you do not have to go and change any client TCP/IP configuration.

On my one MS W2003 DNS Server I have the six AD zones for anl.gov and
fifteen sets of AD zones for subdomains of anl.gov.

There is documentation in the DNS "Bible" - "DNS and BIND" 4th edition
(with a fifth addition due out any minute, I am told).  There is also
documentation in "DNS on Windows Server 2003".  Both are O'Reilly books.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]