Al Mulnick wrote:
I find myself agreeing with Deji, but I'll go one or two or three further.
1) QIP? My experience with QIP has not been favorable in past accounts, but I'll assume it works for you. I've had way to much time invested that I'll never get back with QIP/AD integration. I'm not saying it won't work, because it can, but it's way more complex/expensive than it's worth to me.

QIP is what our datacom people use. We're stuck with it.

2) In the case of AD, unless you have a really good technical and/or policy reason not to, do like Deji says and make your AD dependent on an internal DNS host that supports what it needs. Like DDNS and permissions (security). Best bet here is to make AD the master and let QIP be secodary if a compromise is needed.

I'd love to do this. The people who manage the network have an intense 'dislike' of Microsoft. When we first built our AD domain we wanted to implement MS DNS for the DCs. We were told the MS DNS was "crap" and we couldn't use it. No real reason - just that it was crap. At first they wanted to manually enter all the DNS information that we wanted for the DCs. It took a few months to get them to finally allow just the DCs to use DDNS.

I'm sure that when I report the status on my work updating the test domain and that the likely cause of the problems I'm seeing is DNS the stakeholders will start 'whining' again.

I'll pass on status information next week when I get to make some progress.

thanks again for all the help.

        al

3) Get joe to send pictures of himself as a Cher look-alike to Deji. Why? Just because I'm feeling particularly mean this morning. I like Deji, but I think he needs some abuse for not having been around for a while. (I know it's extreme, but it's for your own good Deji.) <EG> Al On 6/2/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    In this case, you want to point the new DC to an internal DNS server
    authoritative for the domain.

    To close this - and answer joe's question - yes, it's DNS, silly.
    It's always
    DNS :). Slow startup, slow GP processing, slow desktop showing up, slow
    coffee maker, slow uplifting of skirts - always DNS. Choose a working
    INTERNAL DNS server, make netlogon dependent on DNS and 99% of the
    trouble is
    resolved :o

    Sincerely,
      _____