IMO vmware is great for dev/stage/cit/test/dr and good for some prod
applications but I wouldn't be running my AD purely on VM's. AD is
critically dependant upon time and some VM configurations interfere
with the system clock, thereby upsetting the kbt timestamps.

Referring specifically to VMware's products; ESX works but GSX is
uselss for prod (poor resourcing). In addition, some applications do
behave differently inside a VM (despite what the vendors say), and
there are numerous cases where support staff have wasted hours
troubleshooting a problem only to discover it was a VM problem. Do the
sums on ESX and it could be cheaper to own a server.

Rgds,
Tim