Look for the "Net localgroup limitation?" thread in January of this year, particularly joe's message of  1/23/2006 8:35 PM

Also his message of 2/20/2005 8:37 AM in thread "samAccountName attribute length"

Finally his listing from lmcons.h header file in "character limit for sAMAccountNames" from 3/8/2004 7:09 PM

Sorry I don't have the links handy, those are from a search of my personal archives.

HTH

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Al Mulnick
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 6:25 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] OT: Samaccountname attribute (20 char limit) not applicable to gr oups?

Jorge, if you happen to find that in the archives, please post the link.

A quick search of the net brings back some items that seem to indicate that greater than 20 could result in a problem with some directory sync tools.

samaccountname is listed as being expected to be 20 chars.  It doesn't differentiate between groups and users that use the samaccountname.  That just "seems" like a recipe for issues, but if you say it can be 256 without issue, then.... (I know Joe, you're using 64 and so did Jorge, but it looks like it was done for convenience vs. going with more chars.)

Interesting.