Hi all,

Have a general question / case.

On small companies ( 10 - 20 employees), what config is the best to set the
downtime in case of a crash to a minimum. Especially in
a SBS environment / small company.

Lets keep it an easy example:

        -company has 15 employees
        -15 XP workstations
        -one SBS 2k3 server installed with all necessary tools etc..veritas
backup exec / groupshield           etc etc..
        -raid mirror installed
        -network is configured well...firewall / updates etc

Lets say all ingredients are there and are proper
installed/working/configurated for the perfect network. You name it ...its
there.

BUT

There is only one server and all is centralized to that one SBS server:

        -exchange
        -sql dbases
        -file sharing
        -network shared applications (company specific cms, cmr..etc..)

I mean if that goes down, the whole company is down....and when I mean down, I
mean worst case scenario. Lets say that whole server
is burned to the ground. Every part has turned to dust.

Sure the back up is there and the emergency repair disk etc etc...but no other
server to install it on....ordering it ..restoring
it...takes all a few days to get it back in the air.

Is it best to convince the client/company to keep 2 servers running
together...so that the servers share their functions?

Lets say
        -1 server with SBS2k3 for authentication & exchange & sql.
        -1 server with win2k3 for filesharing and the network shared
applications.

Sure last is best...but getting them convinced gets back like....we have a
server, it works fine.

If you peepz have other ideas?...share it!

Rgrds Jorre

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx