Ah I love this problem... Crappy apps can't do the right thing so the AD
folks have to figure out a solution. I have been in this conversation so
many times it isn't funny. I have seen it go several ways.

1. The AD Admins cave in and do whatever to help the apps.
2. The AD Admins tell the app folks they better get the app fixed or find
another way.
3. Spin up another directory and sync the info into it for the apps that is
more tailored for how the app wants to work.

1 and 3 both suck to me. But then so does 2 if the find another way is used.
The best solution is to beat the vendor until they do it correctly.

So the problem with #1 is that in large orgs, it usually won't stop with a
single cname. You will end up spinning up cnames for all sorts of different
occasions. DCs that are in a special site, DCs of a specific domain, DCs of
a specific domain in a specific site, DCs that support LDAPS, DCSs that
support LDAPS in a specific domain in a specific site, GCs, GCs in a
specific domain in a specific site, GCs in another domain or other site, etc
etc etc etc. This list is endless... This is why applications should do it
properly. When I ran a large directory, people constantly came to us and
told us we had to do this and we always said no. One UNIX application group
actually sat down and wrote a tool that did the proper site based SRV record
lookups. Had we crutched them, they never would have had impetus to find a
good solution. When someone says do this for a short time and we will find a
better answer, they won't.

Barring that, I would rather see application integrators front ending their
crappy apps with perl or other tools that do the lookups on behalf of the
apps and populate the configurations of the apps. This can be done daily,
hourly, weekly, whatever the app folks feel is necessary and they should be
doing it in such a way that there is fault tolerance in case something
changes in the time between the updates.

AD Admins should not have to be worrying about this kind of crap. When a DC
is down and having a problem the last thing they should have to be worrying
about is manually updating DNS entries to protect crap apps. This can add to
the support costs and downtime because in the global scheme of things, AD
Admins should not be thinking about all of the various apps, they should be
thinking about maintaining the service as a whole. It is funny because app
groups can't be bothered to learn AD to figure out how to use it properly
but expect the DAs to learn everything about their app and how it works with
AD to make sure their app runs well. That is backwards...

O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition -
http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm