We have discovered several machines that were spitting out SceCli 1202 warnings (Security policies were propagated with warning. 0x4b8) in the Event Log.  We found that our secedit.sdb on one of our sysprep’d image was corrupted.  On the problematic PC’s, we did a

esentutl /p %SystemRoot%\security\database\secedit.sdb

which repaired the security database and upon reboot the warning disappeared and policies began taking effect.

My questions:

1)       Is there something inherently dangerous with imaging (even following the SysPrep rules) that caused our secedit.sdb to become corrupted or did we just get unlucky?  I.e. Has anyone seen any problems with imaging and secedit.sdb?

2)       Are there any additional steps to take with the database (I just read that repair command out of an article) or anywhere else?  I noticed a edbtemp.log in the ..\windows\security folder but it eventually disappears and that entire folder looks back to normal.  What is update.sdb in the database folder and why isn’t it being updated?

3)       PSEXEC – If you are familiar with this utility from sysinternals, can you help me take the command above and make it work?  I tried all variations of quotes and full path names, but I couldn’t get it to work.  Closest I got was esentutl would start but hang.

Thanks,

Bryan Lucas

Server Administrator

Texas Christian University