From: Darren Mar-Elia [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:19 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Slow Links Not Recognized for Offline Files

I've had the same problem with configuring slow link for offline files. Very
annoying when I'm at home, connected over VPN, and the damn thing insists on
synchronizing. Anyway, I've only had spotty success configuring that GP
setting below. I too set it very high and it still inconsistently would
occasionally try to sync. In the end I just disabled idle sync completely,
which seemed to solve the problem.

In terms of the slow link detection process, the process (or at least the
determination) is different for GP, user profiles and offline files. GP
currently uses a lame-o mechanism with pings and yes, Neil is right that
Vista replaces this with the mysterious Network Location Awareness process
that is not well defined but apparently uses small rodents who run up the
network cable and ask secret questions of domain controllers to determine
how quickly they will respond. I suspect but I have not confirmed that user
profiles and offline files use a similar ping sequence but they do it
against the user profile server or the offline file sync share. AFAIK there
is no way to see whether you have detected a slow link for offline files or
not. Gpresult only shows GP's slow link status.

Darren

Darren Mar-Elia
For comprehensive Windows Group Policy Information, check out
www.gpoguy.com-- the best source for GPO tips, tools and whitepapers. Also
check out the Windows Group Policy Guide, a soup-to-nuts resource for Group
Policy information.