Make sure that the permissions are set to Apply Group Policy for both the computers AND the student accounts.  Otherwise it will not apply the User Settings.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Piper, Pat
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 11:48 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Loopback Processing Problem

I am hoping someone can help us out with a loopback processing issue we are having.

We are trying to add our lab computers to our Active Directory and are going to have our students login using their child domain credentials.   All the computers are added as objects to the child domain that the students belong to.    We want to manage group policy by applying it to the computers and not to the users, this enables us to do things like locking down the background image for all computers regardless of the logged on user.

No matter what we try our policies are not being applied and we can't get we want user policies to apply to computer objects.  When local security policies are applied they work, when user policies are applied they work, which means that the computer is communicating with the domain properly.

We’ve read through the following article from Microsoft but are not having any luck finding good troubleshooting steps for this.   Does anyone know of any “gotchas” for loopback processing or of a good troubleshooting guide?

Loopback processing of Group Policy

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231287

Pat

Desktop & Server Services

Keene State College

Keene, NH 03435-2615

603 358-2172

"Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever." - Brian Wilson.