To: <ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 6:52 PM
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Always point a DC with DNS installed to itself as the preferred DNS server...always?

note that DNS startup behavious changes with SP1, which is another
reason not to choose the DC itself as the preferred DNS server: with
SP1, AD will not allow the DNS service to read any records, until it has
successfully replicated with one of it's replication partners.  This is
to avoid false or duplicate registration of records (or even duplicate
creation of the application partitions).

As such, with SP1 it's better to point your DCs to a replication partner
as a primary DNS and to self as a secondary.

/Guido