  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2006 6:28 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Clean install VS Upgrade of Windows 2003

I agree with Jorge on this. Every new OS MSFT comes out with they tell you
that it is much better at handling upgrades than the last and how bad the
last one actually did it. So if someone tells me K3 does it great I tell
them to say that when say LongHorn comes out. :)

Anyway, you will have legacy settings that stay around when you do an
upgrade say like the replication holdback reg settings, etc when you do an
upgrade and it could be confusing later when troubleshooting something.

Unless there is absolutely no way possible to do a fresh install then I
would recommend going that way.

Going slightly OT, I even reinstall my personal home clients on a regular
basis (normally every 6 months but occasionally that slides depending on how
busy I am) to get away from Windows rot and clean off crap that I don't
currently use. I am also getting big into using virtual machines for most
desktop functions now so that makes things even easier as I can roll back to
a predetermined point or just pull the backup image off of a DVD that I made
when I first made the image. Of course make sure you update the image with
new patches first thing. :)  In fact right now, I am writing this email on a
virtual XP instance running with about 15 other virtuals on a machine that
is on the other side of my house.  Also all web surfing to untrusted sites
is done through a virtual I have with undo disks, after I finish surfing I
tell it to undo and it is ready for the next time.

--
O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition -
http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm

  _____